Thursday, April 11, 2013

Langston Hughes- The Negro Speaks of Rivers

Langston Hughes is one of the most celebrated of the Harlem Renaissance writers. He wrote short stories, novels, plays and poetry which celebrated the struggles and achievements of African Americans. Often his work was influenced by the rhythms, melodies and themes of jazz music and the  culture of jazz that was at it's height in the 20's and 30's. We will be exploring one of his short stories in an upcoming class, but I'd thought we get acquainted with one of his poems.


The Negro Speaks of Rivers

Langston Hughes
 
 
I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the
flow of human blood in human veins.
 
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
 
I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy
bosom turn all golden in the sunset.
 
I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.
 
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

 From The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes, published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. Copyright © 1994 the Estate of Langston Hughes. Used with permission.

You can hear Langston Hughes talk about this poem and recite the text HERE

What do you think of this poem? Did your interpretation of the poem change after hearing Langston Hughes speak about the poem and recite the text? Do you think poetry is an effective way of communicating the deep feelings in the human soul? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment